Setting Up the Tiny VPN Island (TVI)
A VPN shall be configured at our "Tiny vServer".
The VPN shall be compliant to following requirements:
- VPN should be restricted to members of The Society
- VPN should protect members from each other, while allowing multicast IP
- IP Traffic shall not be forwarded/NATed to/from the Internet
- VPN should be intercepted at vServer in a senseful way (to allow prosecution of abuse)
- VPN shall be compliant to applicable laws
- VPN should be easily installable for all OS that are supported by TeamSpeak and FreeWRL - use ownCloud for the easy installation of VPN
This project shall establish following use case(s) of the TVI
- TVI-TS: Voice Group Chat (TeamSpeak)
It's done, when it's done.
TODO List (Prioritized)
- DON: Brush up TODO Lists (Status Marker)
- DON: Common Resources: Tiny VPN -> Tiny VPN Island
Cleanup / update of the vServer
- DON: Analyse Cacheing / Authentication (preparation for "Blackboard")
Undo FTP authentication for ownCloud
- DON: replace external users by internal ones
- TODO: uninstall FTP server
- TODO: uninstall ownCloud External User Support
Rethink passwords and authentication at vServer (RA, HPSSL, ownCloud)
- TODO: RA+HPSSL (e.g. Blackboard)
- TODO: ownCloud: is our calendar approach with "Dummy Users" OK?
Do we need teamspeak, glassfish etc.
Result: teamspeak needed, glassfish currently not needed
Ensure H14 Infrastructure (mainly ownCloud)
- DON: Backup for the Puchberg group
- DON: Backup for the CoSuCo group
- TODO: Rethink backup at vServer
- DON: Update server logbook. Store it in ownCloud
- TODO: Update documentation at christoph\h14
Installation of "Blackboard" (with private section(s))
- DON: Definition of Nick Names
- DON: Configure Blackboard at https://lc-soc-lc.at/blackboard
Installing and Configuring the VPN at the vServer,
according to above mentioned requirements
Implementing and Testing the VPN without
- DON: basic implementation of OpenVPN
- TODO: support latest version of OpenVPN client, rethink passwords and authentication at vServer (Easy-RSA/VPN)
- TODO: learn about applicable laws / adapt
Implementing and Testing the TS3 Server
- DON: basic implementation of Voice Chat
- TODO: how can we do chat?
- TODO: how can we do file sharing?
Implementing the "easy installation"
- DON: "easy installation" for Windows
- ONG: "easy installation" for Mac
- TODO: Implementing "statistics / reports"
First test session (Wolfgang G. + Christoph V.)
Test the "guest" account
Result: guest account has to be abandoned
- SKP: Ping Test
Result: OK, but echo cancellation must be turned on
- DON: Test the "guest" account
- TODO: Second test session (with whom? when? what?)
- ONG: Implementing and Testing the VPN without "easy installation"
- 2023-07-01: Started to look up information
- About the openVPN software
- how to ensure security for my users?
- how to make easy install for my users?
- About FreeWrl
- which OS are supported?
- how to embed into client application for SIP?
- About the openVPN software
- 2023-07-08: did some brush up of the TODO list (introduced status markers)
- 2023-07-09: renamed "Tiny VPN" -> "Tiny VPN Island"; updated the description of the Tiny VPN Island at the Common Resources Web Site
- 2023-07-29: deleted the external ownCloud users (FTP) and created new internal users (native ownCloud passwords), moved their data manually
- 2023-07-30: analysed the apache authentication/authorization and cacheing (this is a preparation for the configuration of our "Blackboard")
- 2023-08-01: configured the blackboard at https://lc-soc-lc.at/blackboard. At the time being, the blackboard is empty.
- 2023-08-12: small editorial update of the homepage
- 2023-08-14: bridge day: updated JS/HTML - better flexibility of our web pages
- 2023-08-14: started the configuration of the Tiny VPN Island (TVI)
- 2023-08-20: first ideas/implementations for the "easy installation" of the VPN via ownCloud. Some README files for SOMA. First ideas for the "guest" account of ownCloud
- 2023-08-26: TeamSpeak3 Server installed, firewall settings for TVI-TS
- 2023-08-27: Update of the Home Page
- 2023-09-02: Create Installation Manuals (SOMA) for TVI-TS, updated other Installation Manuals (SOMA)
- 2023-09-10: First Test Session (see TODO List above for details)